Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My fabric stash: Where do I begin?

I don't know how it is for others, but for me, I do need an organized approach and planning to be able to bring a project to an end. So far, I have been distracted by a full-time job, kids and many other important things I have to take care of on a daily basis.

I have been travelling a lot and every time I come to a new place I try to find a fabric store. I had great projectsin mind but usually I haven't found time to even start them. So in these 15 (?) years since I was uprooted from my native Georgia (as in Caucasus) I have accumulated quite a stash of mostly beautiful fabrics. I don't even want to think about the cost...

Now, after I have started with my class in September I went to the Garment District to buy some tools and of course I could not resist buying some more fabric just to find out that I did have something very identical in my stash already.

I had to take care of this right away. So the first thing I did was downloading a Fabric Stash app for my iPhone. I diligently took a picture of my first fabric, typed in all the info about it and then realized that I coiudl make a garment in the time I woudl need to make this cumbersome inventory. So instead, I decided to divide the fabric by weight. So I got a stash of light-weigh, a stash of medium-weight and a stash of heavy-weight fabrics. An additional stash was for specialty fabrics like lace.

I also made sure that all taffetas and lames andleather skins are neatly rolled instead of folded.

The next thing was to look at yardage. I was thinking that after such a long non-sewing break I would never be able to kick off my sewing bonanze with a complex project. So the best thing to start would be a skirt, or two or even three skirts. So, I selected all the fabrics with a small yardage ( which were initially bought for skirts) to be able to start on the first project.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fashion Design © 2012 | All Rights Reserved | About | Privacy Policy | RSS Feed