Saturday, February 12, 2011

Me-Made-March 2011

"I, Marina v.K. of Frabjous Couture,  am very excited to sign up as a participant of Me-Made-March '11. I endeavour to wear at least one self-made or refashioned item each day for the duration of March 2011! In addition, I endeavour not to buy any ready-to-wear clothes for the duration of March 2011 and after. Le consumérisme est mort! Vive la viabilité!"





I have to explain: Zoe of "So, Zo... What do you know?" started this challenge. The idea is mainly "to encourage those of us who make and/or refashion clothes to actually wear them in their everyday lives"


I decided to take this opportunity to achieve few more goals. I regularly go shopping hunting for the perfect shirt, or skirt, or pants, wasting hours and not finding the one I want. Occasionally I do find what I want and spend $$ for it. I do like J. Crew, for example, and Anthropology, for that matter. But when I took a closer look at clothes I bought at Anthropology they were not all that great quality - yes, nice designs, but the construction is not that great. Besides, finding something that fits and flatters you is really a pain. 


Or look at J. Crew. They had great pencil skirts in silk twill or brocade starting at $300.  I tried one on: it didn't fit - the waist was too wide and there were few other fitting issues. Went to Mood Fabrics and got silk twill at one tenth of the cost, used my tried and tested pencil skirt toile - et voila, the skirt is done. 


But it is not only about the cost - I also don't like the idea of wearing something that has been produced in hundreds, or thousands. What about my own style, my mood, my personality. I'd rather go and select the fabric I know is going to fit the rest of my wardrobe and my favourite shoes. 


Finally, I am a 'green' person in many areas, household, work. But in fashion, I used to buy things at stores and donate them after wearing them only few times. I just wasn't that attached to those garments. There are garments in my closet I worn only once or twice because I've never really changed that collar, or hemmed those pants. Such a waste, really. So, I do hope to change these habits by participating in the Me-Made-March '11.


Now, with a full-time job and three kids, it will be very very very challenging, but I will try to do my best.  My goal: to minimize consumerism by living a sustainable life! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fashion Design © 2012 | All Rights Reserved | About | Privacy Policy | RSS Feed