Thursday, April 5, 2012

Camp Couture: Field Dispatch #2

Dear readers, here I am again with some goodies from the Camp Couture. The pictures below feature, in my opinion, one of most interesting and inspiring couture techniques by Susan Khalje. Interesting, because I have seen different treatments of the same stitch on her sample couture garments. I am talking about the prickstitch, a.k.a. pickstitch.

As you may know, p(r)ick stitch is often used for a hand-picked zipper, as well as for understitching. It is a tiny back stitch that secures several layers of fabric where they are most prone to shifting. (For those who are not familiar with this handstitch, check out this tutorial by Kenneth D. King on Threads Magazine website).

Now, have a look at Susan's treatment:

A lace yoke dress - bodice 

The lace yoke dress: the bodice is understitched with tiny beads
Here three beads are used for each stitch, forming a very pretty pattern.
I liked this dress very much, because of the yoke and this p(r)ickstitch treatment  and will try to apply it in one of my future couture projects. I think it will look lovely on the navy linen dress I am making for Susan's Couture Dress Class on Craftsy.com...

And, again, thanks to Susan for letting me share this images with you! I hope they will inspire you to try this technique in your projects!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fashion Design © 2012 | All Rights Reserved | About | Privacy Policy | RSS Feed